FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:02 pm
canyonleo

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by josephstern
Tell me what you find! After 2017, I'll need a good Maui alternative also.
My favorite now is (and most my Maui trips have me mixing point Andaz stays with) VRBO. I love Makena Surf, and since I don't have to have "the hotel experience" I'm fine with VRBO, and I actually like Makena as much or more than Wailea, and there are Makena Surf units that are fantastic (remodeled) and their beach and reef is tops. For anyone that will consider a high rise (I typically don't) Polo Beach Club might be a VRBO option.

For someone that must have a hotel option (restaurants, services, pools with services, etc.) there really isn't a great alternative... in Wailea the Marriott is a dump (and tons of construction) and Four Seasons and Fairmont and Grand Wailea are really apples and oranges vs. Andaz and quite large properties. In Kaanapali it's all large properties (Marriott, Westin, Sheraton) that aren't as nice and HR which is off my list or RC in Kapalua which also is apples to oranges (and not on the beach).

Andaz really is unique jewel on Maui (for the not rich enough to vacation at RC or FS crowd), but it's Hyatt, and I'm probably leaving due to the changes (as I would be a low level Diamond thus not making Glob so with little earning opportunity at WoH why dedicate to Hyatt... I'm a free agent I guess).