FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. border agents stopped journalist from entry and took his phones
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:44 pm
dsdwe234sfd23

Originally Posted by chucko
Not very practical, in this case. I don't think they have WiFi at the Standing Rock protest site. And this guy had a Nexus card!

http://www.cjr.org/first_person/ed_o...nding_rock.php
No need to have confidential data on a system AT THE BORDER. Pull it down later, using a VPN, to your encrypted device. I've lived in ND (shortly) - they do have wifi there.

Thanks for the link. He wasn't going to be allowed in regardless of his answers. They were fishing for more data. ANYTHING can be searched at a US border. OTOH, it is easy to pick up a burner Android device at any grocery store once inside. I've done this in other countries rather than risk my normal device at a border.

Security is almost always a trade-off between convenience and security. The only tool I know that is both more convenient AND more secure than other alternatives is ssh. But most end-users have never heard of ssh, which is really too bad.

Then push the changed data back to the private cloud BEFORE going through a border again. Again, lots of tools for this - rsync (over ssh) is one. Just providing options. Oh, and don't use passwords, use key-based authentication. Using passwords and you've already lost the security game. I understand this could be a shock to most people.