FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel as companion to person with Alzheimer's/ dementia
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:20 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We had a brilliant transatlantic crossing from Lisbon to Bridgetown.

We again selected a suite (these three ships are all suites, so the cheapest cabin is no smaller than the most expensive one, unless you go for one of six specialty suites) laid out like our home master bedroom (only we don't have the suite part, lol!)

See here for a photo of a Suite on Star Pride, Legend and Breeze

When Barbara sleeps it's on the left side of the bed. Immediately adjacent to her left are, in order, the bathroom, closet and exit, just as at home. This minimizes the possibility of disorientation, which we had once when we were kindly upgraded to a non-conforming, if very expansive, suite.

We knew the ship's Master, Captain Alan MacAry, from previous trips, so we asked the staff if it would be possible to arrange a wedding vows renewal service to further celebrate our fifty years of marriage. Our celebration was catered with Champagne, hors d'ouvres and a cake. Captain MacAry officiated, and arrendung were various ship's officers, a friend from a previous crossing and six new friends we made this trip. (In part, I think it was very reinforcing to my spouse given the Alzheimer's disease; this was another way of letting her know I'm not going anywhere.)

A lot of noise and activity can be difficult to handle with Alzheimer's disease, and we notice that, as friends and groups form and the voyage approaches it's end, the noise level increases considerably in public spaces such as the main AmphorA dining room. As Windstar has Candles, an alternative evening dining venue in the smaller Veranda restaurant that serves ~30-35, we found that speaking to the Dining Manager was able to get us into Candles a bit more often than would be normal. The greater intimacy made a difference in comfort, and as a further option one can dine in one's suite - there's a cabin dining menu, and one can order anything from the evening menu as well.

-more coming-