FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta BKK-PVG-LAX-PHX via FM840 Shanghai Airlines
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:39 am
Powers106

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
So once in security, I mean, this is slow, small, lack of bins, and did I say slow? On the far right once you enter the hall there is a biz class "entrance" number 2. Number 1 is also but it isn't written on the glass, it's the same. Number 0 on the far right once you enter the hall is air crew, you can watch a steady stream of people walk through. I told the security guard I was SKy Priority and got into line 1. I read reports here about batteries and indeed there is a sign to take out computers, ipads, lithium batteries...so I plunked all I had into 2 bins and it worked fine, it is just small and oddly organized, and very chaotic. Don't forget anything, I could see how it would be easy to forget something.

The entire process seemed like "normal" meaning it wasn't the holidays or any flight delays and could even been considered "light" since I was one of the first off our airplane, but it took 65 minutes from touchdown to outside security, on a transit ticket where I already had a boarding pass in hand. There is not a "fast" way that I can see to get through, so I was happy my flights were on time and I had the 2h40 mn window per Delta booking.

Once out of security, the "Delta" lounge is to the left, under a sign 39. I initially found it hard to find! Go upstairs. The lounge is big, has 2 floors. Food on first level, and nice seating and drinks on level 2 including showers etc. but no food. When you get inside (I had to present my Skymiles card since the boarding pass from BKK-PVG said SkyPriority but the onward Delta bp did not show my status, the WIFI password is at the front desk, you have to give your passport to get a username and password. The lounge is so big, save yourself some time by doing this right away, but lower your internet speed standards because it is slow. The food was suprisingly good with a noodle soup spicy meat bowl and some sandwiches, salad, dessert. Lot's of staff, they have no sense of humor which made them very funny actually, so try your best word puns and gags on them. The vodka was Absolut and the even had some juice mixers. Ice seems to be a rare commodity but they will refill the ice bucket. The white wine Chardonnay was truly horrendous, I didn't try the red, but they are kind of locked in this chilling case, good idea but when so many people in line it is odd.

Boarding gates are far away!! I thought I was boarding at gate 16 which is fairly close, but since the original bp did not give a gate number I then learned it was gate 23. This is a solid 10 minute walk at pace so I didn't get a chance to shop at all. There is a currency change, lots of duty-free and other food and retail stores. I can't comment on another post regarding using visa or having to change cash at a $10 fee per transaction.

Delta boarding was fine, check your bp then down an escalator, down a hallway, then as in BKK they check all bags again for liquids (note that the Delta flight PVG-LAX provides bottles of water in Y which is really nice = they have a meal service to start, drinks, drinks, clean up, snack, drinks....well, it is a nice service overall).

That's it. What else? You do not need to fill in the immigration form if only transiting at PVG. Other than that, not sure. I think I am 50/50 on ever doing this route again as might just take United through Narita, but overall the horror stories on flight delays due to military and all kinds of things didn't come true THIS TIME, so we will see! One thing is also that the Comfort+ has all the middle seats free today and there are about 15 seats open in J and a pretty packed back of aircraft, so if the possibility of Global upgrade coupons or an open seat next to you in C+ is intriguing it could be a good route, but overall feels like a lot of uncertainty vs. the well-known Narita routing.