FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:30 am
Gardyloo
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
AS: I know, not Oneworld, but AA, CX and BA are partners. And AS's program is very good. Downside is that not many flights out of the Bay Area to my preferred destinations.
Living in the Bay Area, I would give AS a very long look in view of its pending merger with VX.

Are elite upgrades on AA & partner airlines easier than on *A? From what I've read, it appears to be so.
AA's new elite qualifying scheme will make this a more uncertain option than in the past; it will depend on your spend and class of services choices. Others may have different experience, but my elite status (when I was EXP) on AA never got me upgraded on any partner flights.

BA/CX: advantage is their premium economy offerings, which can be a good option when upgrades aren't available and you don't want to splurge on Business. But does it make sense to enroll in a foreign airlines program when part of your travel is domestic? If you had to choose between the two, which would you recommend?
BA's MFU policy - buy WT+, upgrade to CW - is an excellent perk in my book, and, while their fuel surcharges suck, they usually have good award availability. Further, Sapphire or higher BA status would get you access to Admiral's Clubs that you wouldn't get as an AA elite (except in premium transcon or intercontinental flights) for domestic itineraries.