FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LGA-JFK travel question
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:05 am
Letitride3c

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
LGA Marriott has free shuttle to/from LGA but you are on your own getting to JFK the next day ... car service or Uber/Lyft it over on a Saturday should be easy, assuming Mets isn't playing at home nearby @Citi Field. There's on-site dining at typical NYC & Marriott pricing for dinner, or, grab something to eat at the Food Court upstairs at departure (landside) level first before catching the hotel shuttle. Otherwise, there's nothing within walking distance nearby ... not even a 7-11 or convenience store as it's just off/above the Grand Central Pkwy overlooking LGA (nearest to Delta) and ditto for morning breakfast (last time I drove by the area, one of the greasy spoon/24-7 diner is still there near Astoria Blvd & 94th Street, not exactly walkable) aside from hotel option. But, that's a good AAA price/rate as booked - even the Long Island City area with clusters of hotels are more expensive (Fairfield on Queens Blvd & short walk to subway connections ... not sure about free LGA shuttle, but another Fairfield closer to the airport in Astoria does run a free shuttle).

I would not recommend the downtown Marriott in Brooklyn and it's pricier with a more complicated ride over to JFK - down Manhattan Marriott has a rate similar to LGA at about $179 + taxes/fees ... in the Financial District & there are usually deals on weekends (re-check discount rates closer in depending on their bookings/occupancies). If OP heads into Manhattan, I believe the Fairfield by Marriott north of Penn Station (closer to the PA Bus Terminal) sometimes run last minute deals.

Downtown Flushing would be a possibility - both the Sheraton LGA and 1 year old Hyatt Place (roof-top bar of Manhattan's skyline & pool are excellent) up the block have free airport shuttle; and, plenty of diverse Asian dining with a 3 to 4 blocks area - plus, the popular Skyview Mall ... plenty of car service options, plus Uber/Lyft often 5 minutes away for the JFK run.

The long-term Van Wyck Expressway (I-678) to/from JFK is still unfinished & likely remained status quo in 2017, so allow extra time getting there - traffic along that route at all hours & often worst on weekend - with no easy bypass.