FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global upgrade certificate fiasco
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:15 pm
ubw117

Global upgrade certificate fiasco

Hi everyone, I wanted to share my story last weekend from AMS to EWR leg for a ticket PRG - AMS - EWR on a delta operated 767 with a delta ticket.

so on Wednesday I rang delta and I asked them to apply my global certificate to my flight back to NYC area, and they were glad to help. then come to the checkin time, there were 6 seats open. so I was liking those odds, so I came to check in on the delta app and it didnt work (Yes I am a US citizen) so I rang delta, and delta said why dont you check in through KLM and then you will see your name and wife's name in the global upgrade list on the delta app.

So I tried to checkin through KLM site, and guess what it worked I was checked in but when I checked the delta app, I couldnt see myself in the upgrade list. so ok call delta, they say that something is "stuck" and 60 minutes while I am in Prague and they uncheck me in and then ask me to check in through delta app and of course that doesnt work, then they say oh yeah we fixed it, checkin through KLM again so that works but I am still not on the upgrade list, they explain to me that the upgrade has been requested but will not kick in unless I am checked in through the delta system!!

so they said when you get to Prague ask the checkin desk to check you in and activate you your global certificate, so I did.....Guess what the lovely guy at the KLM counter had no idea and couldnt see what I was saying on the system, so rang delta again and they said ok when you get to AMS they person at the gate will do it there are still 6 seats empty. I am like ok.

so I get to AMS and meet my savior, I explain that I need my certificate activated and I am here, she says I see you on the list, but there are no more business seats left, btw delta planes are managed by those friendly full of common sense dutch KLM people. I asked her why I see 6 seats on the app.

so ok I am in the lounge and I say to myself why dont I ask the people at the desk there, the lady goes to me give me the reference number and certificate number there is a seat, I said I should be on the list as the lady said, she said I need the reference number and certificate number to get you upgraded, ok so I call delta get both reference number and certificate numbers, she applies it to my ticket, and says none left for the second one.

so I go to the gate and it is finally maned by someone normal, she explains that the ONLY way to get upgraded is not to call delta before and be on the list (like you do when you leave from the US) it is actually when you get to the gate you ask the agent to upgrade you and give them the certificate number and reference number and it is first come first serve not based on how your status!

so delta are you kidding me, how could that even be!!! and how could upgrades be based on a race who gets there first??? and how is it ok that no one I spoke to at delta (4 people at least) knew any of this.

Ok feel better now that I got off my system

Mike

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Dec 1, 2016 at 6:49 am Reason: Removed violations of TOS - profanity