FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CONSOLIDATED: 500 and 1000 rupee notes no longer legal tender!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:35 pm
segacs

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by pjpoker
So since you were there the entire time after the currency freeze, would you say things are improving? I have a trip booked to India and will be arriving Dec. 6th. I've already gotten the time off work and arrangements made so I really don't want to cancel. India has been at the top of my travel list for years.
I was only in India for the first 10 days of the freeze, and then I went to Nepal. So not the entire time. Things weren't really improving much while I was there, and I'd venture that now that old banknotes are no longer being exchanged at branches, things might get worse again -- especially with December 1st payday this week.

I'm glad I stayed, and I did still manage to enjoy my trip. So I wouldn't say to run and cancel, especially if you're looking forward to it. But definitely be aware that the hassle factor could be high. You may not to get to do all the things you wanted, like eat in local restaurants, visit all sights and attractions, or shop everywhere. You might have to stick to places that accept credit more than you anticipated. And you may have to sacrifice some sightseeing hours to the current #1 Indian pastime of lining up at ATMs. If you can get your hands on some small-note rupees (100s and 50s) before your trip, definitely get as many as you can, as you'll need them.

It's not impossible by any means. Just, it's like the traffic, smog or bathroom situation: something you will have to deal with if you choose to go to India right now, part and parcel of the experience. Informed is forewarned. Bring a dozen photocopies of your passport and passport-sized photos, some plenty of patience and good humour.

You might also want to check out the extensive threads on the subject on Thorntree, as plenty of other travellers and backpackers are discussing the situation. Plus, monitor the media.