FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Longest you have been away on holiday (not work).
Old Nov 27, 2016, 10:29 am
txflyer77

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by invisible
Interesting to know - all these multiple month trips, especially if it was not solo trip, how much the journey cost with all expenses - transportation, housing, food/misc/etc included?

One thing is if you won a lottery (or rich uncle just left you inheritance of multiple millions of $) and you can travel for four month staying at 5* hotels. Another thing is carry your tent with you and eat at Subway and street food all the time.
My two-month trip in Southeast Asia cost around $2500. I used miles to get in and out of the region and stayed in hostels in the cities and small guesthouses elsewhere. My daily budget (lodging, meals, sightseeing) was $30-$40. Transportation was by train, highway bus and tuk tuk. Food was a mix of street food and cheap restaurants. 100 THB for dinner goes pretty far in small town Thailand.

I worked all through college so I had the savings to pay for it myself. The miles were actually my first foray into FlyerTalk—I opened the Chase Sapphire Preferred and CO cards for the bonuses, which was enough for me to redeem for a first class ticket to Bangkok and business back from Singapore.

I'm very seriously thinking about doing another trip like this soon, though my savings are considerably healthier now so my budget won't be quite so anemic.