FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How did Emirates get such a great rep?
View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:12 pm
eternaltransit

Originally Posted by FlightDelayed
OK, good to know. I had a long layover coming over and the fast food places were open quite late. I brought two COSI salads with me on the flights over so I will try to do the same for this flight back.
That main meal does sound unpleasant - I've had better luck overall with the curry based options on EK. Hopefully it is down to a poor choice of monthly menu cycle and catering, rather a sign of things to come, because in my experience the food has not descended to inedible levels in Y.

Bread on EK does end up being solid pieces in Y. I don't think I'd characterise it as inedible, just a solid roll style thing. I appreciate that for many bread must be soft, not hard!

Breakfast on a plane - can never be good, imho. Reconstituted eggs are the order of the day it seems. That is where I do agree with you re: inedible. I don't think that's entirely isolated to EK though as I haven't found Y hot eggs on any airline palatable!

I think it's probably safer to go with the curry based options on EK, imho and for breakfast there's sometimes a non-egg one too.

Re: the bulkhead seats - it is definitely EK policy to release seats at check-in, so to be sure to get them, you'll need to go the airport when the airport desks open and request them (they are first come first served), regardless of what the computer said beforehand (EK IT is notoriously poor). As your husband is tall, I think that is the safest option.

For the meal service - the carts do travel in each cabin section and side separately but they are usually quite good about it once they are deployed. Once again that's down to the inconsistency of the crew, especially in economy as there are lots of new staff. The quality of the service is a lot to do with the quality of the individual supervisor, I find.

The crew arguing about their cart deployment is of course, not acceptable and not unheard of - a quick email to EK should be in order.

As your friend says, rapid expansion in capacity has taken its toll noticeably, imho. Whether that can continue in the current economic environment EK finds itself in is debatable (I suspect EK will be looking for any excuse to fire staff at this point so the badly performing crew members will be out of a job soon).

The inverted cardboard box hides metal oven trays upon which the meals are kept for service. It's not an oven.