FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA F v QF/EK F mini trip report
View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:47 am
johnaalex

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
BA F v QF/EK F mini trip report

I have just completed the outbound flights for my latest trip to Bangkok. Ever since BA stop flying F on the route I have taken routes via HKG and KUL this time I decided to take the QF/EK option via DXB which as the flights were booked as QF I would get my TPs and Avios. This also gave the opportunity to compare the First class offerings from Qantas and Emirates with BA’s. My last F flight with BA was a couple of months ago on the A380 flights to JNB.

The battle was practically won by QF before I even got to LHR when I realised I was entitled to a complimentary limousine service to the airport from my home in West London. The Mercedes S class arrived a few minutes early and the trip to LHR was perfect as was the check in procedure in T3.
I then decided, in the interests of research to compare the Lounges. I quite like GF in T3 but it comes a second best to the EK Lounge in almost every respect apart from the quality of the booze. The EK lounge is, I believe, only classed as “Business Class” which would explain the lack of premium brands of whisky et cetera (e.g. no Johnny Walker Blue!). The food offerings were more varied, much better presented and their quality lived up to the presentation.

Once on board I was intrigued by the swivel seat in the QF cabin which took a bit of getting used to but I am nothing if not adaptable and found it comfortable enough and I like the privacy of 1A.

Seat 1A-1
by John Alexander, on Flickr

Seat 1A-2

Seat 1A-3

When offered a pre-flight drink I asked what was available, the answer being whatever I wanted as opposed to the “champagne, juice or water” with BA. When I said I could not decide between a glass of champagne or a G&T I was served both and they were served with a couple of nice canapes.

Pre flight drinks

The champagne served was Taittinger Comtes de Champagne. When it came to dining I asked about the steak as I wanted to see if they, unlike BA, could serve a steak cooked medium. The crayfish starter was very tasty as the dessert.

crayfish starter

The steak was indeed jus as I like it. For those keeping score here I make that QF 4 BA 0!

Fillet steak cooked medium

Arrival into DXB was on time and the transfer process was speedy and painless. I did a quick recce of the EK Flounge and I look forward to spending a bit more time it when I return to England.

On boarding the EK A380 I was struck by the bling surrounding the seat. I think their seat is the most comfortable I have experienced on any plane. I was the only passenger in the F cabin which is always a nice experience. I didn’t get to try the shower but again it shows what can be done on modern aircraft and the toilet/shower room on EK puts BA’s cramped bog to shame.

Seat 2K-1

Seat 2K-2

Seat 2K-3

As it was made clear to me when I was shown to my seat that dining was “on demand” I decided to wait a bit for my meal and after a couple of glasses of Dom Pérignon I had a nice and much needed kip. When I awoke, I asked about the steak and was advised not to order it as it always was well done. At least the FA was honest about it! Instead I ordered the chicken biryani which was just fantastic – such great flavours making it one of the best inflight meals I have ever had. For starter I had the caviar.

Caviar service

Chicken biryani

To round off a fantastic journey I had a very generous serving of Johnny Walker Blue.

JW Blue

Sorry BA I lost count of the final score, but I know you got nil!

Pleased to see my 420 TPs etc have been posted to my account especially as the rurn F fare was less than £3500.