FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Fare free" tickets given on delayed flights
Old Nov 24, 2016, 5:57 am
Furry

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by KLouis
I agree that if this may sometimes create negative publicity, but I must say that the conditions are clearly written on the piece of paper that one reads. Still, how can one say that it's a rip-off if you get something for free or, even, for substantially less money, just because one thinks that one hour's worth of delay should be worth a free trip to Papeete... Of course, if someone does not reside in Greece and does not plan to travel there within a year, and if (s)he does, it will be part of the 4 flights re-qualification requirement this is completely useless. If on the other hand you have several flights planned per year XXX-ATH-AAA and you pay less than the full price, then it is certainly a nice gift. A similar logic applies to the 2-hours delay for international flights.
At least in my case it was booked to revenue class (Z) so counts as 4 segments and is not tied to award availability. There was quite a few problems issuing the award which took multiple calls to A3 so it might be that they had to do some extraordinary measures to get it booked, but maybe somebody else can confirm whether this was a one timer or normally they issue into I class.

I used our vouchers this May for HEL-ATH-HEL and only had to pay additional SKG segment with cash.

We got vouchers on Aug 2015 on coupon-upgraded flight, so flights using voucher were also issued in business class which was a very nice bonus/gesture by them.

By the way, original reason for us getting the coupons were that ATH-HEL flight was heavily oversold and they had to sit few Economy passengers to second row of business class 3 abrest and couldn't move the curtain due to limitations