FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EK First vs EK J-class
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:34 am
m3red

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
On my recent AMS-DXB-AMS trip, I had a new A380 on the outbound, and an old A380 on the inbound. The picture quality on the older aircraft was terrible, especially the contrast.

In the safety video, the guy with the dark & light gray striped jumper appeared to be wearing a black jumper - it was that bad! I tried to watch Star Wars, but the there were lots of dark scenes at the beginning, so it made it pretty impossible. No amount of tweaking would sort it.

As for storage, I had a normal sized carry-on, plus a backpack. No issues with storing these at foot level.

Food is pretty dire these days. I just arrived in Dubai from SGN in J. The Vietnam Style chicken was disgusting. Lots of gristle. My missus had the snapper, which she said was OK, but nothing special.

Service was plain weird. No wine menus were available. It was a midnight flight, so they took food and drinks orders together. The FA asked what I'd like to drink, so I asked what wines were available. "Red and White" she replied...

I pushed the matter and said, "OK - what type of Reds?". Her next reply - "Australian". Eventually I just said "Any Shiraz or similar?". She smiled and said "Yes".

She then repeated the charade with my wife who wanted white wine. However, she knew even less about the white wines, so eventually went away and found a wine menu in the galley.

The first pour of wine was exactly 60 minutes after departure.
Expectations on night flights for me are very low these days.

We also avoid all chicken/curry options as they can be very fatty/gristly....Pasta/fish is the best of a bad bunch.

No excuse for the wine list fail - at least they had a list unlike on one F flight I did this year where none were even loaded.