FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 'Mr Red Eyes’: Re-Qualifying for *G on TK, SAA, ET in Y (live)
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:57 am
Stewie Mac
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Hey you with the pretty face, Welcome to the human race

TK1984, A321
Scheduled 22:35-05:15
Actual a bit earlier than that (check on FR24 if you really care)-04:50
Seat 23C

I have my kit sorted now for overnights in Y: inflatable neck pillow, eyemask, n/c earbuds and my secret weapons – a self-hypnosis ‘get to sleep’ track on the phone, and pajamas. Not actual pajamas, but some loose thin cotton pull-on trousers, which really make a difference.

So after the whiskies I changed into my pajamas in the toilet near the gate, and slouched onto the flight, in thin t-shirt a sharp contrast to all the parka-wearers. A full flight tonight, two neighbours in A and B, and hoping that they stay put. [I was amazed when I came to mid-flight to see them both tucking into ‘dinner’ at about 3am IST time , but thankfully neither moved].

I had eyemask on and earphones in before boarding was even complete, ignored the safety briefing and just surfaced at wheels up to register that it was only 22:40, and so we must have pushed back early. I managed a light doze for 3.5 hours before we landed into a dark and cold IST, parked at a remote stand and then stood on the bus for 10 minutes waiting for the driver to finish his chat. [Sometimes I think about starting an airport bus company to rival the monopoly of Cobus]. Off the bus and follow the signs to international transfers, a long walk the length of the terminal into the TK lounge, grab a couple of bottles of water and find a spot to doze.

I’ve done this before, off the overnight flight, snooze and shower in the lounge and then out to meetings in IST, and last time pre-coup the wait for a shower at 6:30 was an hour. So I dozed until then, only to be told by the shower lady that the wait was 2 hours. At least. And I need to be out of the airport by 8:30 for my meeting. So a shave in the sink, and a change of clothes in the toilet, and I’m feeling sub-human as I walk the length of the terminal again to find the transfer desk, go back into the arrivals stream, and immigrate.

I’ve done one red-eye out of 4 this week, and I’m hanging.

Crazy taxi drives, a durum doner with ayran, and an excellent meeting later, I’m back at the airport for my JNB flight tonight. A two hour snooze in the cinema room, a long shower (no queue early evening) and I’ve rejoined the human race.

Now it’s a couple of hours of work, a couple of films on the laptop, more self-medication (raki this time), and TK42 tonight…