FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My dad's RTW in the 1970s
View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:34 am
Passmethesickbag

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
My dad's RTW in the 1970s

The other day, my mum and I went through some old papers, and among other things, we found the itinerary for my late dad's RTW out of ARN, and I thought I'd share it. His employer sent him to a conference in Melbourne, and paid for an RTW ticket in F.

The itinerary is neatly type-written by the TA. It doesn't have a year on it, but I think it would have been around 1976. All the carriers exist today, except Western Airlines and Northwest, both of which merged with DL. A small detail which amuses me is that the only airport that needed to be specified by name by the TA was ARN — little Stockholm was the only one that had two active airports and, come to think of it, probably still is.

All routes also still exist today AFAIK, except SK's SEA-CPH route which did survive until quite recently, and the use of Mauritius as a hub from Europe to Australia. Actually, based on the mileage, it seems quite perfect; both legs are roughly 5,200 miles. Another exotic detail is Air Tahiti Nui service between Melbourne and Sydney.

I have memories of the excitement of this trip, and the photographs and stories that my dad brought when he returned. Among the things he brought back was a deck of Northwest Orient-branded playing cards, which we used in card games in my family for years.