FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:40 pm
Phil Level

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by findark
I've cleared two RPUs for November and December of this year. Both into open R at booking, a Friday and a Saturday evening EWR-SFO.

You can fish for cash offers - you should get the "TOD" priced offer as a popup immediately at booking (theory is if ZN is open) and going reported price seems to be about $319. If you don't get the offer, or if you don't like it, just cancel. p.s. J is obscenely expensive sometimes though... I'm flying SFO-IAH-LGA next month because I missed the 30-day boat and somehow even P space is a unicorn on a Tuesday, let alone R
Thanks for the tip!
I booked our Jan trip, both flight are mid week. Got a buy up offer on the return EWR-LAX, including base fare about $600. Not great, but a whole lot better than the $1599 Z tickets being offered by the pricing engine.

I tried this also for a December EWR-LAX segment on a Saturday, but the buy up offered was $1319 on top of base fare.

Now I still have to decide whether to apply RPUs to the outbound segment or wait and see if I get an upgrade offer. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by tstauck
Phil - see my above screenshot of my boarding pass EWR-LAX 1/21/17 (a few posts up). It was confirmed at booking using an RPU (and flight was under $200). When I booked this a few weeks ago, Saturdays in Jan for both LAX and SFO had a lot of availability. Good luck!
You got luckier than me. I looked at both Jan 21 and 28 EWR-LAX, and the only R inventory for both days is an 8 AM flight on Jan 28. Not the date I need to travel, but I looked anyway. Thanks for the tip.