FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NOLA folks: what airline?
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:12 pm
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Which airport would you most likely fly into when you go to the IAD area. Will IAD be the closest to your project site or would Reagan be closer?

If Reagan, stick with AA. If IAD, then consider UA.

With that said, if comfort and occasional upgrades are major considerations, then AA is your best bet. With no status on UA, you won't get those unless you pay for E+. With the UA Explorer credit card, you can have group 2 boarding.

MSY is not UA elite heavy, so if you can get to silver again, you might stand a chance of getting an occasional upgrade. Aisle seating shouldn't be a problem, silver or not. I'm not really familiar with silver perks, but I think silvers can choose an available E+ seat within 24 hours of departure.

Since you have Lifetime AA Gold, give United a shot. You'll always have AA to fall back on.

Welcome to my hometown.
With this client, IAD is closest, but DCA is a reasonable choice, and I've even done BWI on the Sunday night inbound (but not the weekday return). But it's likely that by mid-year or sooner I'll be on to the next client, who could be anywhere else in the US.

And thanks for the welcome!

Originally Posted by Blumie

Edited to add: swag, if you don't already know Tyrone from your MSY-DFW runs, make sure to introduce yourself to him and let him know that you expect to be one of his regulars going forward.
I've encountered him, but never really spoken with him...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How about DL? You'd probably be able to get Gold status, the same as Plat on AA, of you can spend $50,000-60,000 on a DL AmEx card annually.
That spend is likely out of range, and even if I did reach that high, I'm sot sure I'd want to direct it all into SkyMiles.

---
Do any MSY flyers here focus on Southwest? Obviously no upgrades, but even with no status, a bit of diligence almost always gets me a good enough number for an aisle.