FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alive thru 3/17: How to buy a Companion Pass, 120k RR pts + 7 hotel nights for $2048
Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:14 pm
HPN-HRL

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by braddqq
I have a system too that I am going to use in 2018 (as I already have companion pass for 2017):

1) Get a Chase Sapphire VISA card to get 100,000 points for yourself
2) Get a Chase Sapphire VISA card for your spouse (or any family member) to get another 100,000 points
3) Combine the points (you can do that) and then transfer them to Hyatt
4) I might be a few thousand points off somewhere, but you can convert the Hyatt points to Southwest points and will have enough for a CP.

The downside is, you have to pay $495 a year for the card -but you get $300 off travel, free priority pass lounge access, and a few more perks.

NSX do you agree this is a valid method too?
I'm not NSX, but I agree that your plan should work, assuming nothing in the UR-->Hyatt-->WN path changes.

As long as you transfer from Hyatt to WN in multiples of 50K:
50k UR --> 50k Hyatt -->30K WN RR
Doing this 4 times with your 200K UR will give 120K WN RR

Assuming a rough value of $0.015 to $0.02 per UR point, you are spending $3000-$4000 in UR points to get two things:
1) a CP, and
2) WN RR points worth at most $1666.67 (at 72 RR pts/$; let's hope that this doesn't get devalued any further).

I would try to make sure that you will be using the CP enough to make up the difference between these values.