FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EK First vs EK J-class
View Single Post
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:38 am
9wings

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Skywards Gold
EK First vs EK J-class

I've been lurking in the shadows here for some time but not posted before. I normally fly BA and used to fly TK a lot being an architect involved with the new INA airport in IST.

Anyway, I'm now involved with DWC in DXB and had to use EK on the client's insistance for my flights to and from Dubai. The corporate travel agent we use through work had some sort of corporate offer and "upgraded" me from J to F on my first flight. Reason for the itallics will become clear below:

I flew on their A380 service between London and Dubai.

I was excited to try the EK first class but was immensely disappointed by it on the whole. First on getting on the aircraft I was told there was nowhere to store my two bits of luggage but that these have to go at my feet since there are no overhead lockers! I was aghast. The suitcase was fine but my laptop bag was forever in my way. And because of the luggage being at my feet there was no ottoman as you get in business class!

By contrast this is the ottoman you get in their own J-class:

Then as I was in a window seat in 1A (no I did not pick it - it was automaticaly allocated and I saw no reason to move places), I was expecting storage beside me as you get on BA in J and F class and in fact on EK's own J-class window seats. But no. Most of the space was taken by a pointless electric bar that I opened once and then didn't use again since you have at seat service. Behind me was my cushion, mattress and bedding stuffed in front of one of my two windows! Extremely untidy. Yet on EK's own J class all my bedding was neatly hidden in one of the bins to the side of the seat. Calm, classy and tidy.

The doors to my suite didn't fully shut and always left a one inch gap. They were also infuriatingly connected to the seat buttons. So sometimes I just wanted to move the seat and then the doors either opened or closed... When service came the doors were either thinking they were still to close when you pressed the button and tried to do the last inch or they opened again. You just never knew which it would do. And meanwhile your champagne was getting warm on a tray outside your suite...

The seat in F-class is also uncomfortable compared to the excellent seats in their J-class. The J-class seats are narrower yes, but are infinitely more comfortable. You also have more storage in J-class.

The entertainment screen was also of extremely low resolution and I didn't want to watch any movies on it. I've flown econommy on Turkish airlines with better resolution screens! I forgot to check that aircraft's code to see its age alas.

I found the food in first so-so and average at best and had better food in J-class on my return trip. I did enjoy the Dom Perignon 1998 though. :-) Much more than the Dom 2006.

Breakfast:

Mid flight snack:

Lunch:

Unlike on BA you also get a proper wooden tooth pic and not a useless plastic straw. Also unlike BA, that have no idea about button holes in napkins and what these do, EK's napkins in J and F have buttons holes in them.

The only reason to fly first with Emirates is to get a shower. And that I've done now and won't need that tick in a box ever again.

The bathrooms out front are huge (as on all A380s) and the entire floor is heated.

The water pressure was amazing I have to say. You have five minutes of warm water which you can pause for as long as you like. Five minutes doesn't sound enough but it is plenty enough time to have a shower.

Should my travel agent ever offer me another free "upgrade" to First on Emirates I have to sadly say I will ask him to keep me in J-class. I was really astounded by how much better their J-class was than their F-class and I really cannot recommend EK's F-class to anyone.

Quick fixes though:

- add above seat storage for suitcases
- add ottoman for feet
- do not combine door controls with seat controls
- remove the pointless fridge bar to be able to properly pack away and hide bedding or better still surely in First class this can be brought to you as and when you need it? I was on a day flight so it was really not required to have all that stuff on a shelf next to me.
- add more storage space
- fit comfortable seats

Last edited by 9wings; Nov 23, 2016 at 2:02 pm