FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Idiocy of United Airlines(Canada ETA)
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:54 pm
truenorthdg

Angry The Idiocy of United Airlines(Canada ETA)

As you may know, Canada recently started to require ETA for visa-exempt countries (critical point here is that it is for visa exempt countries and not for Canadian citizens or permanent residents).

I travel to Houston a lot, which is a United hub and I am a Canadian permanent resident. In the last 2 occasions, including one of them just 20 minutes ago, when I go to the terminal and try to print my ticket, it doesn't allow me and asks for a United representative. And the United representatives are trying to deny my ticket saying I need an ETA. I have to spend 1 hour every time, trying to control my anger towards this idiocy to explain that I AM A PERMANENT CANADIAN RESIDENT, and I don't need a freaking ETA. One time they called the"international" hotline which they said is for internal purposes only(so they didn't give me the phone number) and the guy on the line said I am not allowed to board the plane without an ETA. Seriously, how uninformed can you be or even lack the basic thought process that a permanent resident doesn't need anything?

I tried calling every United hotline and I still have to go through this every time I fly. I am seriously considering going to the United HQ and just rush in to the CEO's office. Is there a phone number I can call to tell someone with actual power that every employee in the Houston IAH is unaware what ETA is?

And by the way, while I am extremely angry, knowing that anger doesn't get you far, in both instances I didn't raise my voice or tried to argue. So it wasn't a case where I triggered an employee or anything.

Unfortunately I have to fly with United or Air Canada every time since they are the ones that offer direct flights only. I will never fly on United anymore and stick to Air Canada, at least from the US to Canada. I know my 2 flights a month don't mean much but still this is the least I can do. But I want to fix this idiocy for other fellow travelers regardless.

Thank you for reading my rant, sorry if I offended anyone.