FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Refundable, fully flexible tickets - but with penalties / fees
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:20 am
Superguy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
You need to read the Fare Rules. Period.

Though admittedly AA makes the fare rules hard to find, but it is already better than UA which requires you to go thru Catchy in order to read the fare rules!
This. I always check them, ESPECIALLY on international itineraries. If you're buying from AA.com though, they're not that hard to find - and definitely available before clicking the purchase button.

Most international C/F fares that aren't booked as J, D, or F, often have cancellation and change penalties in the $400-$600 neighborhood. Fully refundable are available, but you're going to pay thru the nose for them.

I use these fares quite a bit as my company will buy them if they're cheaper than coach (about the only time they'll consider it), or I buy up to them from a Y fare out of my own pocket. The $500 or so risk to me is worth it considering my flight will be much more comfortable.

UA offers these fares as well, but they call them flexible rather than refundable to denote that there may be penalties associated with changes and refunds.