FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:20 am
dyung

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I have a modem/router combo at home but want to buy a second router and flash the firmware onto the second router and plug that into my home one (in essence creating 2 WiFi networks: home and home+vpn). Is this ridiculous and/or possible, what I'm asking?

I'm not generally into tinkering like that but the benefit would be instead of installing the VPN and running it on each client, I could simply encrypt traffic at the source.

If so, does anyone know StrongVPN, PureVPN, or Express VPN and can recommend any of them (or can advise to stay away)?
I do something similar on my home network. I use a T-mobile wifi cellspot router (rebadged ASUS RT-AC68U) which I have flashed to Tomato. I use the OpenVPN client there to connect to my VPN provider (I use private internet access). I then setup all computers I want to use the VPN to use static IPs with the router as the gateway. If I want to not use the VPN, I switch to DHCP and let my main router provide the IP configuration.

And like you, I wanted to run the VPN on my router so that I don't have to run the client on all of my computers/phones/devices.