FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medical tourism to Venezuela Questions
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2016, 9:24 am
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Elena
It's very upsetting to me when people write off doctors in other countries- board certified surgeons in Colombia are held to equally high standards as in the US. Looking at the US embassy in Venezuela medical referral list there are even plenty of Harvard educated surgeons in Venezuela. I would much prefer a top doctor in another country than a mediocre doctor in the US. People that experience medical troubles for elective procedures abroad tend to be because they are going to fly-by night clinics, clinics actively trying to cash in on foreigners, or don't research the doctors credentials properly.
I in no way was writing off doctors in other countries. Everyone of Venezuelan origin who I have spoken to in the last few years, primarily in Chile and Argentina, have encouraged others not to go to their home country for any reason.

Nonetheless, have you considered your contingency plan if anything goes wrong? Even the best surgeons make mistakes, and even the most perfect surgeries have unforeseen complications.