FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Denver/Rockies in early March
View Single Post
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:36 pm
DenverBrian
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by travellingtechie
Hi all

I shall be in Denver next March with a spare day and was thinking of driving to the Rockies! But I am wondering what the weather is generally like at that time of year. The national park website simply says "Winter (Dec–Mar): cold weather, deep snow at higher elevations, and seasonal closures of facilities and roads. ".

Anyone know what this means, will any roads be passable? Will any facilities be open? I'm sure you guys deal better with snow than us this side of the pond - more than two flakes and the entire transport network shuts down !!

Cheers
TT
March is the snowiest month of the year in Denver - sometimes very heavy, wet snow of 3 feet or more! Luckily, the weather changes often, so the next day it's usually 60 degrees and the snow melts in just a couple of days.

March is one of the best skiing months in the mountains; spring break is the second or third week of March, and the ski resorts are at their peak during this period.

Roads will certainly be passable because we're pretty good at the whole snow removal thing. You can take I-70 up into the mountains, but there's simply no way to know if your spare day will be one with sunny skies, relatively warm temps and beautiful white mountains surrounding you...or blizzard conditions. You really won't know until you arrive.