FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question: Frustrated--rarely find good flights any more--any tips?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:56 pm
Toddcan

Originally Posted by WWannabe
Yes, I guess so. One way revenue fares are sensibly priced these days I guess? Don't like paying penalties for changing reward flights, however. And those penalties are going up soon, btw.

Good for you. Unfortunately I'm talking about vacation dates that have little or no flexibility--not because of work, but because of cruises booked, usually. In the case of Tahiti next year, we will fly (hopefully) AF Premium Economy. They only fly three times a week, LAX-PPT. So fly out of YYZ on Monday, spend the night with friends, then fly to PPT on Tuesday night, arrive Wednesday morning, board the boat on Saturday, with 3 nights pre-cruise at a hotel. Fly back to LAX on the last morning of the cruise, arrive in the late afternoon, on a Wednesday. So it's either a redeye to Toronto or stay overnight and fly out on the morning of Thursday the 19th. At that point don't want to stick around for more days.

I foolishly thought I could grab some biz reward flights for those days--I've managed to do it before.
Waiting until a week before doesn't work for me, especially when I want to book my AF flights months in advance.
For getting to Tahiti: Try looking at United Flights from SFO to AKL (direct), and then trying for a Air NZ flight to PPT. Getting to SFO is a breeze from YYZ too.

I'm starting to piece this exact trip myself for a Windstar Cruise, and have found lots of SFO-AKL flights. I quite enjoyed the United layflat beds in J.

The only problem I am finding is getting my AKL-PPT flight - I may have to buy this one, and not use AP miles. Perhaps Virgin.

Anyways - just a suggestion. I also tend to look for 1 way flights only - I find it MUCH easier to piece together my itinerary.