FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rate Plus 1000 or 2000 Wyndham reward points
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:36 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I have no recent-enough experience, the 1000 bonus sounds totally separate from what you earn normally. And normally earn a minimum of 1000 points on a stay. So I don't see why you wouldn't earn 2000 points with a $50 one-night stay on a 1000 bonus points rate.

The reason, though, that I don't have recent-enough expereience is that there's too big a gap between the discount rates i qualify for and the 1000 bonus point rates lately (at the hotels I stay at), and it just doesn't seem worth abandoning the discount I qualify for and then paying even more above that to get just 1000 bonus points. (But that math can very from hotel to hotel, and depend on the discount rates you qualify for.)

A couple years ago, one of the hotels I was staying at periodically had just a few bucks difference between AAA/AARP discount rate and 1000 bonus points rate. In that case, it made sense. Now the same hotel has a $20ish difference, and it doesn't make sense to me.