FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medical tourism to Venezuela Questions
View Single Post
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:05 pm
Elena

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
Medical tourism to Venezuela Questions

Considering traveling to Caracas for elective surgery as well as replacing a couple failed dental implants; I know they have some excellent clinics and doctors. Wondering if the private clinics are likely to accept US-issued Amex? And if they accept local currency in which case I might be able to get a better deal by trading my dollars on the black market.

If local currency is accepted at clinics- what would be the most secure way to travel with the cash between hotel/apt and the clinic? As I assume it might require a large suitcase of BsF based on the currency issues. And is there is a shortage of supplies at the top private clinics or are there things I might want to bring?

Also wondering if I wanted to bring some medication (around 50 bottles) to donate to locals or hospitals is that ok to bring in suitcase or are corrupt customs officials likely to confiscate it? I have lived in Colombia and speak decent Spanish but look Scandinavian. Any tips for local guides also welcomed; not necessarily professional just seeking trustworthy resource (ie not in cahoots with gangs/hustlers) for hiring someone to help conduct daily errands and perhaps show me some local sites and restaurants.