FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Congress Wants TSA to Secure Amtrak & Buses
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:41 pm
petaluma1

Originally Posted by chollie
It will be interesting to watch the details of what's allowed on the train/bus.

A couple years ago, an older friend was traveling by Greyhound. At the first extended stop, the drive announced that anyone who got off would be frisked before getting back on, so if you had a pocket knife, you had to leave it on the bus or not get off yourself.

Nothing had been said about having pocket knives on one's person when my friend originally boarded the bus and the bus driver obviously knew that there might be people already on board who had pocket knives (or other prohibited items). Absolutely made no sense, but then, it didn't make sense for TSA to force arriving Amtrak pax to detour away from the direct exit and through the sterile area so they could be screened.

Will pocket knives be prohibited unless checked? What about liquids? Aren't explosives deemed a threat on Amtrak?

Will there be the same ID requirements?

I'm not talking about the occasional exercises we've seen; I'm talking about what it will be like if Congress and TSA seize the growth opportunities - hire more TSOs, buy lots of over-priced security scanners, bla-bla.
Who was going to do the frisking - the driver or the TSA or police?