FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long Term Value of miles/points with Airfare Inflation
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:46 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pinniped
Internationally, I'm seeing a lot of fares coming back into their traditional ranges. Not quite as sky-high as 2-3 years ago, perhaps thanks to stronger LCC competition on routes that didn't have them before.

I think the original premise holds true in limited areas. Simple U.S. and U.S./Canada is one example where ten years ago I'd have never redeemed an award but now I do semi-often. Lack of competition has driven prices high, but the airlines have so much marketing capital invested in the "25,000 mile award" that they haven't yet adjusted that part of the award chart. They can (and do) tighten availability, but if you're flexible you can get your seats. Fly a less-popular route where a monopoly exists and you can get over 2cpm without working too hard.

The problem with the rest of the award chart is that if airfares go up too much they'll just reset the chart. They never featured the "90,000-mile J seat to North Asia" in their mainstream credit card offers, so it was easy to crank up the miles required without anyone noticing (except us, of course).
LCCs and more carriers flying internationally to/from the US, so I'm increasingly seeing prices being lower this year than say five years ago. But I'm also seeing a change in travel demand to/from Euorope so that is a big part of the price drops.

Domestically, my flight costs have become more extremely varied, but on average I'm paying more than 5-8 years ago when it comes to non-award tickets.

For international award tickets, the value I see out of miles is now the worst on average than it's ever been.