FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Laucala, Fiji - trip report
View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:35 pm
KatW
Original Member

Interesting conversation about varieties of experience. We are so various in what we want, our expectations and how vocal we are about same. And in our delight or not.

My notion of luxury is akin to ESP: I don't want to ask for anything; I simply want my wants / desires to be intuited and met. This is difficult outside of one's own estate and staff cadre. Next best is a gracious environment in which all is made just so but it is made abundantly clear you are treasured, valued and nothing is too much. This latter was my experience at Laucala. I sometimes felt a bit guilty I could not ask for something not already provided. Mermaids?

We were fortunate to be in residence when Chef Anthony was in situ. I understand, MacMyDay, this was an issue for you, rightly so. I think I recall you also were unhappy you had to wait 30 minutes for the sub to be readied although you had reserved in advance. Also legitimate. I am less clear about other service wonkiness you experienced.

One aspect of luxe hotels/resorts that especially irritates me is this question upon check in: Welcome dear guest, when would you like housekeeping to clean your room? Two days four days from now? How do I know. This was not inflicted on us at Laucala. Instead, as was the case at Twin Farms, Le Bristol, etc., it was magically known when we left the room and would be gone for some time. Yes, I know it wasn't magic but staff tracking us.

It can be eerie, this tracking. We had gotten into the habit of eating only twice a day (gargantuan breakfast and late lunch) plus the dessert delivered in villa each afternoon. When we showed up for lunch, there was much clucking and concern expressed about our not eating dinner. What had they missed, what could they do, would we not say what we wanted to eat?

Here's the kicker, though: on our last day we were not to fly out of Laucala until 6pm. Whilst we were at late lunch 2pm, the villa was thoroughly cleaned, fresh flowers added here and there and fresh linen made up on the bed. I guess in case maybe we'd have a quickie.

I confess, after reading of another's experience here, I felt quite thwarted when, occasionally, my golf cart was not reversed so it headed outbound.

Nevertheless, I am working up a list of requests ahead of our April respite: lobster and beef BBQ on the beach in front of our villa, orchid lei or crown each day, a snorkel trip with and extra staffer to guide/watch Jim. Serious about this.

For many traveling to Laucala it is not only expensive but, well, painful, so many hours in the air, and Air Fiji is no picnic even in biz class. Then, the resort cost is notable. I was fairly satisfied in view of all that and we were there for ten nights so the math speaks for itself. And then there is quid pro quo -- wherein both are relative.

Differences abound and are necessary. I was made delighted and my Jim was made comfortable and treasured. From my view, every penny well spent. Entirely understand this may not be the case for others. Experiences necessarily will vary guest to guest; that is why reports here are so useful.

Last edited by KatW; Oct 24, 2016 at 11:11 pm