FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virgin America F is better than UA, but not twice as good
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:29 pm
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by caseminole
Good points.

yes, still trying to see what makes VX so good, comparatively speaking.

I understand my personal sample size doesnt help me see this.

Would like input from folks who fly both airlines
Comparatively speaking (and this is from someone who has only been on UA once in the past 4 years, but has plenty of other domestic experience on the rest of the competition...

(1) Boarding. F / MCS / Elite boarding enforced like no other airline. Always bin space.

(2) PDB. Near 100% full bar, and often time for a second if you want.

(3) Seats - I haven't had any real malfunctions (save the Red system), although my VX flying this year has been minimal. The cabin spaciousness is a lot more comfy than typical domestic F, and the FA to passenger ratio is great.

(4) Food - even if you don't like much on the meal tray, there is the F snack basket, and then the entire Y food selection is yours for the asking.

(5) SFO T2 is one of the most relaxing terminal experiences in the USA. I can't say that for certain other VX terminals. But at least I have SFO T2 as the start of my trips.

(6) I have only had one truly awful VX inflight experience (albeit on a JFK/SFO). I've had a couple of mediocre flights, but for the most part, the crews are better than UA and AA, probably not better than AS and DL up front.

All the above said, I haven't flown to/from NYC on VX in a couple of years because the F fares just haven't been competitive. I'd have paid a bit more, but I've been flying in lie flats on AA for so many hundreds less each way that I will do without my VX cookie box. For a similar price, I'd probably choose VX over a daytime AA flight.