FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FT Hiccup? ("View first unread" anomalies)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:21 pm
goalie
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by IBobi
That all seems to be functioning correctly (with one caveat -- going to the bottom of an unvisited thread rather than the top...).

Remember, again -- the software cannot determine what *post* you read or did not read when last you visited. It will take you to the *page* that the next most recent post (since you last looked) resides on.

EXAMPLE:

(you have your settings to display 40 posts per page in this example)

If the last time you checked a thread, the most recent post was post #45 (this would put you on page 2 of the thread, since you view 40 posts per page), and you go back to the thread after there are 77 posts in that thread, it will take you to page 2 again (somewhere on page 2 -- there is no way for it to know where your eyes scanned or scrolled). If there are now 85, or 850 posts in the thread, it should still take you to page 2, since you never viewed past that page. But again, it may not take you to the exact post you last viewed, because it cannot track this.

In the above cases, it looks like it was taking you to the last page in a thread, either because you had never viewed the thread before (in which case perhaps it should take you to the beginning rather than the end, I agree -- but it does not seem to do this for me -- at least this is consistent), or because that's the page you had last viewed.

Another wrinkle can come into the situation if you *ever* use the "mark forums read" link, in which case hitting the "first new post" button will act as though you have read up to the last page in *every thread on FT*.
With all due respect, why was I not having any of the issues mentioned by me and others in this thread BEFORE the software "update" this past March/April?