FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FT Hiccup? ("View first unread" anomalies)
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:47 pm
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I do the same thing every single time. On an ipad air2, using Safari.
1) I am always logged in. Never log out.

2) I open Safari on my ipad, where I have an FT icon (saved as a favorite). I click on the icon and it opens to the forum.

3) I click on 'New Posts' and scroll down until I see something that interests me.

4) The first thread I click on invariably takes me to the mobile skin (even if I have been on FT 5 minutes prior - whenever I open FT, the first post I try to read always takes me to the mobile version. Very, very annoying, but not the subject of this thread). I hold the 'refresh' icon in the address bar and click on 'request desktop site'.

5) I read the thread, then back arrow twice (through the mobile skin) to get back to my list new posts. Keep scrolling down.

6) If it is a thread I have read before, I click the 'view first unread' icon beside the thread title. Which may or may not take me to the true first unread post. Sometimes (often) it works properly.

Sometimes, it a) takes me to the very last post in the thread even if there are posts I haven't read; b) takes me to the very first post in the thread, even if it was years ago; c) takes me to the first post of that particular day even if there are other unread posts; d) takes me to some random, already read post; e) takes me to the top post of some random page, usually the last or second last page, even though I have already read all but the most recently post. This is the most common occurrence.

Some threads, it happens everytime. Sometimes it is totally random and will, on the same thread, work fine at times and then will do one of the above the next time I see it and click on the 'view first unread' triangle.

After scrolling through a couple of pages, I hit 'New Posts' again and start the process as above. Same routine every time. Anything else you need to know?

Last edited by Finkface; Oct 21, 2016 at 9:55 pm