FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Laucala, Fiji - trip report
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:48 pm
FlyerEC

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by KatW
More Laucala Miscellanea:

We were in residence 21 September through 1 October. It rained an hour or so the afternoon of our arrival but we were so wrecked by travel and jetlag it was almost comforting. Thereafter it rained twice but late at night so no inconvenience to us. Meanwhile, the stars, the heavens -- the night was a glorious star show. Be careful not to fall over whilst crinking up your neck. Or, just get flat down on the ground for maximum viewing comfort.

I never have slept so well. There is something about sun, heat, sea, salt, sand that makes the body flex gracefully into supine relaxation. We asked for and received almost instantaneously extra bed pillows.

Demographics: guests during our tenure were from Australia, New Zealand, the U.S. and Japan.

Lobster -- available at breakfast, lunch and dinner!

The Sounds: birds here are vocal, usually melodious. The sea was quiet on our bay, just gentle susurration. Oh, but the glorious palm fronds rustled by the tropic breezes, heaven!

There is a panoply of activities offered to guests. Then, there is just you and the sea and the jungle and the sun ... and serenity.

Birding/Twitching -- I confess most of our birding was sedentary on the deck or floating in the villa pool or putting (heh) around in our golf cart. Nevertheless, our sightings:

Orange dove, Ptilinopus victor -- seen only on laucala and two nearby islands
Fiji parrotfinch Erythrura pealii
Streaked fantail, Rhipidura verreauxi
Pacific kingfisher
Collared kingfisher
Grey heron, Ardea cinerea
Swamp hen, porphyrio
Common myna
Pacific swallow
Wood swallow
Starlings (I know, whoopee)
lots of brown doves

We are less than amateur birders (twitchers) yet delight in sightings.

Important issue: villa furniture is uncomfortable in the main. Form over function and that is my greatest and most fervent complaint.

No bug issues which I thought remarkable for a tropical island.
Appreciate your candid sharing , about miscellaneous too .
Pity about the villa furniture with such rates , does it match the environment ? Or calibre of property ? ..

As we get on years , with various health issues , it is helpful to hear from you that even if & when one day we maybe similar to Jim ' s condition , we will be able to travel afar to lovely places like Laucala .. With or without a super yacht , perhaps sail from AKL .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 21, 2016 at 7:08 pm Reason: iPad typos, add information