FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Israel Railways to TLV rant
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:55 pm
Dovster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
This would not be workable where I live. There are four kibbutzim within a reasonable distance from each other and most members do not fly more than once a year (I am the major exception to the rule). Besides, I am the very rare kibbutz member who flies Biz Class and can take two checked bags. Those flying with only one bag would find the train much easier.

Actually, this trip in December worked out pretty well for me using a kibbutz car. Our general rule is that a car cannot be taken for more than six days, but as December is usually cold, and often wet, where I live most kibbutz members don't take pleasure drives leaving more cars available, so the rule was waived in this case.

I will leave the kibbutz at 5 am on Dec 11, letting me arrive at my girlfriend's house in Ramat Aviv before rush hour begins. As it will be my birthday, my daughter will come down from Haifa and my son from Ramat HaSharon and the four of us will go out to dinner together to celebrate.

I will stay at her house for the night of the 11th, get to bed very early on the 12th, and leave her house at 0300 on the 13th to drive to the airport. My return flight at 14:40 on the 20th, and while I could take Rte 6 and miss the Tel Aviv rush hour, I would hit the Haifa afternoon rush hour at Yokne'am and not be free of it until after Karmiel. Besides, after taking the water taxi to VCE and then flying into TLV, I may be too tired to make that drive.

Instead, I will drive back to her house, spend the night there, and drive back to the kibbutz late the next morning and miss all the traffic.

I'll have to pay for 8 days in the parking area near the terminal in order to get a cart for my luggage, but I can live with that.