FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? (2016-2019)
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:37 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
Just got a refund of $15.83 after downgrading my CSP to a Freedom Unlimited. Woot! Totally unexpected. I assume this is the pro-rated amount left from my $95 annual fee.

Neil
Should be. I was told full refund within 60 days (or maybe it was 90) of annual fee being billed, and pro-rated after that).

Originally Posted by pallhedge
When next year's annual fee appears on her statement, she has 30 days to cancel or downgrade to a no-annual-fee card and get a full refund. If she chooses to cancel, she should combine any unused points onto your card before she does so.
Is that different for CSR compared to CSP. Per above, I was told either 60 or 90 days (can't remember) for full refund. I just downgraded my CSP yesterday, and annual fee was billed Sept. 1. Refund was applied as credit to the account pretty quick - called in the afternoon for the downgrade, and refund was on the card before I went to bed.

Unused points, according to my question with Chase, re: CSP, need to be done within 30 days of cancellation. Personally, I would move all the points out first.

Originally Posted by Happy
Came across this data point found in the comment section of an article DoC wrote up about the new policy on the AF refund (strictly 30 days from billed, no pro-rata either).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27375302-post10.html

Strongly suggest people to read the DP before doing a downgrade / switch from Fee cards to No Fee cards.
Maybe refunds are different than if you just downgrade and take a credit, but like i said above, my CSP fee was billed Sept. 1, paid with my auto-payment last week, and full amount of AF was posted as a credit pretty much immediately.

Originally Posted by jjoe123
Hello,

I was trying to change my CSP to Freedom (have it for almost 2 years now) due to getting my CSR.

I was told I can only downgrade to regular Sapphire and not to Freedom. Do that make sense? Is there something I can do to get the Freedom instead?

Thanks,
Joe
Odd. My CSP downgrade yesterday was to Freedom Unlimited...down quickly and without any questions or issues.