FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:24 am
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your guess probably is on target - too many bill pays per cycle. It does not even matter whether it is from WM or from other banks - it seems 4 payments (of any kind) in one cycle is the line in sand. Once it is over and for continuous periods, it triggers some analytical reviews.

AU charges a lot on a card when Primary holder is passive also threw a red flag when you really think about it. The shut down on your wife seems to be a common scenario across banks.

Originally Posted by ketelone
1) I was doing a lot of bill pay per month. 4-5 bill payment per month, month after month in Walmart bill pay. for about 5-6 month.

2) Yes I was an AU on my wife's ink card. After my ink got shut down, I stopped doing bonus spend (staples) in my wife's card and stopped doing bill pay also and only did some small legitimate spend. I started thinking that i had already done 45K in my wife's card in the 9 months and maybe a good idea to do some non-bonus spend for remaining 3 months and did only a 2200$ purchase in simon mall. all her chase cards got shut down 4 days later.

No joint checking/savings account on Chase. Neither me nor my wife have deposited a single MO in either of our chase account in at least 3 years.

3) No. Chase did not lose any money in the sense, I paid off all my credit card balances right away. I was able to successfully transfer all my UR balances (SQ and UA). Dropped the ball on draining my Chase checking account but they sent me a check within 10 days.

My biggest red flags i believe were
- too much bill pay (at least 3 payment per cycle and sometimes 4-5) in Walmart.

Even though I was doing close to 50K in office spending, 3 years in a row, I did quite a bit of non-bonus Manufactured spend too. close to 30-35K per year on the Ink Cards.

goes without saying, got too greedy and threw caution to the wind. Live and Learn i guess.