FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Chase policy (Oct 2016): No Annual Fee refund >30 days after AF billed.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:06 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
Full refund w/in 30 days is what I found out too but there are many reports of prorated refunds up to 90 days or more. Not sure if prorated refunds will be phased out but I guess we'll find out.

Happy, did you ask for a prorated refund?
The "many" reports of pro-rated refunds are from WHEN? The new policy is in effect Oct 12th. Many agents dont even know about it. So those being promised pro-rated refund may not ever get it when they actually cancel their cards based on the NO LONGER TRUE information.

I did not cancel but wanted to know my option.

The front line rep initially told me 60days and then said it should be 90 days. I then asked him to make sure because the fresh SM reply I got was only 30 days versus a previous SM in Sept told me 180 days - the discrepancy is just all over the place.

So the phone rep excused himself and went to do some research then came back to tell me there was a memo released Oct 12th about the new policy of 30 days. He offered to transfer me to his manager for further assistance.

The Account Manager was very understanding, said he would feel the same way as any customer would - feeling being shafted on this because
1) there is no advance notice with the new policy came in effect on the date it was distributed, Oct 12th.
2) Many customers have been told differently up till now and inevitably these customers would be quite upset when they found out they would not get anything back. No pro-rate refund. Period.
3) He said "we" (the managers) in the meeting actually discussed on HOW they would handle customers' calls when the customers found out the new policy. He said they did not have any authority to give refund, but MIGHT be able to reverse the charge (of course they could because the charge should still be within the 30 days window unless someone let it go to Past Due stage). He felt Chase is testing how customers would react and said the more customers call in to complain, and the managers put in the negative feedback, MAY BE, on the next meeting there would be something done. He knew about CSR and felt that with that card, many customers would cancel other Chase fee cards - may be Chase has seen a wave of cancellation on other fee cards so decides to put in a new policy.

He also agreed that without any notice from Chase on this new policy versus AMEX gave 2 months notice, is a BAD practice from Chase but unfortunately there is nothing he or other managers could do, other than submitting the customer feedback to the higher up.

On top of that he said there is no way to tell IF a pro-rated refund would be given unless we went thru the cancellation process. Since Chase still owes me 4000 spend bonus points I am not ready to cancel the card yet. He did find the 4K spend bonus offer attached on my card AND I have met the spend in July but said the promo ended on Sept 30 with the 6 to 8 weeks clause, so the bonus probably would not come until Mid Nov. He was surprised by that as he knew usually it did not take this long. DH had the same promo in Q1 this year, he got the 4K bonus the next statement after he met the spend. I am now 3 statements after that (Aug, Sept and Oct) and still not see it. Folks on the Q2 promo ended in June said they saw their bonus in Aug statement. This is new practice from Chase that many do not notice as not everyone does the spend bonus promotion.

I did tell him the AMEX policy has an exception that if you have other AMEX Fee card(s), the one you canceled would get prorated fee, and this exception is fair to the customer. (data points posted on the Bye Bye No Prorated Refund thread in AMEX forum - someone already got a pro-rated refund on a card its AF was billed in July when he recently acquired an AMEX fee card before cancelling the unwanted card.)

So if we as customers all voice our concerns may be we would see an exception like what AMEX is doing now. BTW, the AMEX exception is not a published thing but it has been told to multiple customers and actually is happening.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 20, 2016 at 5:33 pm