FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AccorHotels Acquires Fairmont, Raffles and Swissotel
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:48 pm
CanadaDH

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Clearly there is a very different value to the respective programs. It makes sense that they give Accor status to FPC Plat members, but not the other way around. The FPC status has tangible value immediately; Accor, not really. They're giving FPC members Plat status with Accor, but so what, because you can't just monetize that status through a free night or guaranteed upgrade.

As someone who has held Platinum status in both FPC (via actual usage and enjoyment) and Accor (just via Amex) for the past 5 or so years, I've had those 2 programs to direct my business to. In those 5 years, I've spent a grand total of 2 nights at a Sofitel and well over 100 at Fairmont in the same time. Why? Because there is nothing about the Accor program and their properties that I find particularly enticing. I had "free" Accor Platinum status to take advantage of, and I basically ignored it completely. Fairmont, on the other hand, I use extensively.

The marketing geniuses that think all people love chasing points in points-based programs like Accor obviously don't understand the allure of programs like FPC to a certain profile of traveler. I keep racking up additional Fairmont nights, even when they don't accrue into any sort of credit or redeemable program point at all, because Fairmont and the FPC is just hands-down better.

I also have about a dozen nights booked at Four Seasons properties for 2017, and they don't have a formal loyalty program at all. I suppose I could have booked a Sofitel instead for those stays, paid less, and even earned some Accor points? No, thank you. I certainly would have looked at Fairmont first for this particular trip, if only they had one at my destination. Accor does. I still went with FS.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Oct 20, 2016 at 3:57 pm