FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DOT travel announcement and Q&A: October 19, 2016, 10am-12pm PDT
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:07 am
DeltaWings

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Hello,

Thank you for making yourselves available today to answer questions. I'd like to start by asking for clarification of the following:

"Protecting Air Travelers with Disabilities: The largest U.S. airlines will be required to report on how often they mishandle wheelchairs."

By "mishandle," do you mean damage? What about passengers (like me) who routinely face airlines that refuse to return gate-checked wheelchairs, or do not do so in a timely manner? These are instances of a chair not being handled properly, relative to the requirements set forth in the Air Carrier Access Act.

Why does it seem as though the DOT only takes enforcement action against airlines for ACAA violations once a story has gained national attention? (i.e. United and the passenger that crawled off a plane at DCA)

In addition to fines, you have the ability to send cease and desist letters regarding disability violations. Why is that not being done in the face of repeated violations?

How many people do you have assigned to investigate ACAA violations in the Air Consumer Protection Division?

Thank you again for your time.