FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:41 am
bobdablob

Programs: NA
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Bob

*If* SAA can thru-check the bags JFK-JNB-BBK, then this is a very very straightforward connection. I think that they should be able to do so, but it might be worth actually checking with SAA staff at JFK, as they are the ones who will have to do it [in other words, getting someone in a callcentre to say they will means nothing when you're standing at checkin at JFK].

Honestly, even if you can't thru-check, 4 hours is an easy connection. Last time I was down (3 weeks ago), immigration was a nightmare, an hour wait, and I still had time to have a shower in the lounge and make an onward (dom) connection with a 2 hour window.

The only way that you'll miss the BBK flight is if your inbound is severely delayed, and if that happens then even the 'guide' won't help.

TL;DR. You'll be fine, but check with SAA at JFK that they will thru-check bags.

Stewie Mac...
Thanks for the quick response and feedback! I will certainly see about getting SAA to check bags all the way thru to BBK.

Bob