FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:21 pm
chleonard

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Wow.. quite the mixed bag! It would be interesting to contrast Job security with travel policy..

Besides the fact it would be near impossible to do my job on anything BUT the public penny (Scientist.. ) one of the things I like about my job is the security, to the point I am willing to sacrifice the perk of premium travel (you have to be super senior to get ANY premium cabin tix.. )
Fellow public-sector employee here (engineer/project manager), travel policy is Y for all flights no matter the length. Business is allowed with a waiver but it requires specific criteria (extremely urgent travel, medical need, etc) and is almost impossible to get for most people. Old travel policy (up till a few years ago) allowed business if cumulative travel time was 14+ hours.

That being said, I like my job and our travel policy is otherwise not that bad so I don't complain and buy upgrades when I can. I do find it interesting that so many folks in IT/big tech seem to have Y-only travel policies (although as someone who used to work in tech, this does not surprise me).