FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - foreign currency error on Visa credit card
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:02 pm
sfvoyage

Originally Posted by sbm12
Uhhh.....

So maybe get the story straight.

You keep calling it a mistake. Where are you seeing it say that Visa is obligated to use a particular rate??
You are totally not getting my point and are confusing the issue. I made the purchase after the British pound began to weaken - this has nothing to do with any kind of mistake fare or taking advantage of a mistake. The British pound is going to fluctuate on the market as it does.

In fact, I can take out the Brexit angle, and the issue still remains: an exchange rate that's out of line with every one else's.

Regarding Visa's mistake, I call it a mistake for the simple reason that it is an outlier when compared to all the other forex benchmarks as well as their main competitor's. The difference is too big to be due to some minor random fluctuation.

In addition, visa's rates were in line with the benchmarks in the days leading up to and following the 4-day period from June 24-27; it was only during the 4-day period that their rates were out of line. Something didn't seem right.

While Visa can use any exchange rate they want, if the rate is so far off their competitor's as well as all the benchmarks, is it not reasonable and correct to ask for an explanation? Why the negativity?

In any case, I started this thread to report this issue and to see if others have similar experience and suggestions. In my limited data points, it seems that, while mastercard and visa typically have similar forex rates, mastercard may be better in more cases. Someone earlier on mentioned switching to Amex, which I don't have much experience with when it comes to forex. How does Amex compare to Visa and Mastercard when it comes to forex?

Last edited by sfvoyage; Oct 15, 2016 at 8:28 pm