FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No nuts for me....due to NRSA allergy
View Single Post
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:46 pm
freshairborne

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Now you know why. Have you never seen the non-revs causally schmooze at the counter? I have plenty of times.

But back on topic, I have been on a United flight when they have announced that peanuts will not be served. It's strange that so many people have these allergies these days to nuts. It just didn't seem like anyone died/suffered a reaction to them in my day so is it something that is on the increase and if so, why?

In my opinion the FA definitely overreacted in this case and if it was that bad I would want to take myself well away from the danger.
As an occasional "non-rev" myself, I will sometimes "schmooze" the agents, but it's either because I know them or I'm asking if they think I'll even get on at all. They theoretically could do favors but it's more likely to be for a regular passenger than me.
The term non-rev is a misnomer. Nothing is free; we would be paid more $/hour if we did not have the possibility of "non-rev"ing. Personally, I usually just buy the tickets when my wife and I travel because our travels are on high-demand routes and we miss more than we make as "non-revs".

FAB