FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with Samples Between the US and Canada
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:15 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Traveling with Samples Between the US and Canada

I've never had to bring commercial samples across the border, and with some customers in Canada asking to see our products, I am trying to figure out the complexity of doing this - which upon review of the relevant pages for both the US and Canada customs websites, appears to make an already confusing issue, more confusing.

Here are the relevant facts, and hopefully there is either an expert, or at least someone experienced enough to offer some advise:

1. I am a dual US/Canadian citizen with Nexus - I enter each country with their own passport, but reside in the US. I know I cannot use the Nexus lane with samples.

2. the products are optical frames, made in Japan. They are already "landed" in the USA without duty collection, so I want to make sure I am not charged duty or tax when I try to go home after visiting Canada

3. the frames will be with me at all times, and nothing will be left in Canada - after my visit, they will leave with me - how do I prove to Canadian authorities that everything was taken out?

4. is any special documentation needed for entering Canada, or for re-importing the samples back into the USA? How complex are the forms or other documentation needed?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.