FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated DEN connection time/logistics-Domestic & International
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:52 am
San Gottardo

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by char777
It's all in the same building. International passengers walk across the bridge from the A concourse into customs at the north side of the terminal. You'll exit and see the north side security right in front of you (and once you get past all the people greeting loved ones). This checkpoint has Precheck, premium, and Clear lanes. You'll then take the train to the B concourse. If you're in F (didn't think LH had any F from DEN anymore, but I could be wrong), have Global Entry, and it all goes well, you could probably do pretty well. An hour is probably more than fine under those circumstances, but there's always a risk...
Thanks, this is helpful.

Lufthansa has F class on the 333 flight from Munich which arrives at 2.30pm. There is no more F class on the 747-400 flight from Frankfurt which arrives later.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Is this on a single ticket, or did you purchase multiple tickets?
Separate tickets. The second one is an award ticket. I do understand that neither LH nor UA will take care of me, hence my question whether it is feasible to make a 55 minute connection.

55 minutes is an illegal connection for an LH-UA flight at DEN. The posted minimum is 1 hour and ten minutes. (It's one hour exactly for international to domestic, regardless of airline; LH-UA has its own rule). If you are on a single ticket, the ticketing carrier should fix this in advance. Their default response will likely be to put you onto the next UA flight to your destination. However, they may be flexible and allow you to change routings if you ask (if that helps).
I know. But I presume that the MCT is calculated for an "average" traveler, i.e. one that gets off the plane around the middle of the pack rather in the first ten pax to leave the plane, that has no GE, that has luggage, no access to priority line at TSA. With that I was wondering whether I could shave off a couple of minutes of the MCT. And if a pax arriving on BA can connect to UA in 1 hour then in theory so should a pax arriving on LH. So I would actually undercut MCT by 5 minutes.

But since I have not connected internationally in DEN since 2001 I simply do not remember the layout and distances, and I presume that things have changed since then. Hence my question here in the forum.

Originally Posted by repcool
If everything goes as planned and you keep moving you will be fine. Be sure to go to the PreCheck line because that is where the most risk is.

At many US airports I have been through Global Entry and customs in less than 5 minutes only to be stuck in security with no PreCheck for 25!
The connection I try to make is to make an arrival at 2.30pm and a departure on an UAX flight at 3.25pm. From what you say that should work.

I presumably won't have Pre (for some reason it never works for me), but at least access to the priority lane.

If I get off the plane at 2.30pm, I should be through immigration/customs by 2.40 or 2.45pm. Then I have 15 minutes at TSA. Which would leave me with 15 minutes to arrive ten minutes before departure at my gate in the high B area (UAX flight). Sounds plausible? UAX closes gates 10 minutes before departure, right?

There are some variables in this calculation, maybe I am out of customs much quicker (as a reference, in Chicago it takes me 10 minutes even from the farthest gate of T5 to the curb and the Uber car) and maybe I spend a little more time in security. What I cannot gather because I do not know the airport is the time it takes from security to the gates. And then there should be additional slack in the plan as the LH flight typically arrives a little early.