FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa, Namibia, Victoria Falls, Mauritius & UAE via Emirates First, Qatar Biz
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:56 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
American Airlines
Compass Airlines Operated as American Eagle
First Class
YVR-LAX (Vancouver International Airport – Los Angeles Airport Terminal 4)
AA 5987
April 14, 2016
Booked: Embraer RJ 175
Flown: Embraer RJ 175
Departure: 7:00 AM
Arrival: 10:06 AM

We had a not so wonderful 3:30 AM wake up to get to the airport today. It was about an hour to shower and button up the house and we were on our way to the Vancouver International Airport via the Aerocar Service.

It was not a great get away day today. The black Lincoln Towncar that was sent to pick us up had a broken self leveling suspension so it rode like a low-rider all the way to the airport. This translated into two severely “shaken” travelers before we even got onto the plane. We only brought (or forgot) enough Gravol ginger for one for the trip, so I spent 15 minutes walking over to the other side of the Vancouver airport Pharmasave store looking for more, only to find it closed.

We attempted check in at the AA kiosks, but the Titmatic Visa check blocked any further progress. Our AAgent was further unable to print out all boarding cards; WT73 was able to get all boarding cards checked through to Cape Town, whereas I was only able to get my American flight to Los Angeles. I tried, but was unable to list her for an upgrade into the business class cabin, despite 4 seats showing as available and her being on a AAdvantage business award ticket. When we booked the ticket, someone else had already grabbed the other business class saver seat so we had a reservation of one in business and one in economy.

Global Entry was kind to us today and without lines, we were through the US Pre-Clearance at YVR quickly and into the dark airport. There were bizarre Donald Duck collections on display on the secure side, along with the usual world class First Nations art that is always around the Vancouver International Airport.

We settled in on board the Embraer 175 in the 1-2 seating configuration. The American flight featured a refreshed cabin with grey leather seating. Unfortunately, there was no in seat power, and as expected of the smaller aircraft, no video monitors. Hey mister looking at me; I know what you’re thinking – “Who let this amateur photographer in here”?

A pre-departure beverage of water was provided, followed by an announcement that they had run out of drinking water on board.

We pushed back next to the Westjet “Frozen” themed aircraft. Our departure was on runway 08R today, which meant a fly over of the Lower Mainland district eastwards towards the Rockies (away from the ocean). Nice view of the mountains on our left here…

There was the usual tired towel service. A cold breakfast was provided promptly about 40 minutes in the flight. There was only one choice today of granola and fruit, which was served plated all at once. This is quite similar to Delta Airlines on this route in the morning with a cold cereal on the morning flight.

It was pretty friendly service on the way down with a nice view of Mount Rainer peeking through the clouds.

Before we knew it, and a few winks later, we were in bound to LAX.

We landed in Los Angeles Terminal 4 outfield terminal. I still find it fascinating every time I come through here how many aircraft are on the ground. Sure- it’s less than a state of the art facility but still awesome none the less.

Overall the flight was pretty consistent with what others are offering on this route. Even the Embraer configuration is comparable to Delta’s offering on this route. There isn’t much reason to pick American over Delta over Alaska on this route so perhaps it comes down to which lounge you favor leaving Los Angles since all 3 have access to none leaving Vancouver.