FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:59 am
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Hawaiino
Just checked out of the JWM this morning....have a few observations. I've been staying there, off and on, since the late '90's. The old girl's starting to show her bones.
Had similar thoughts staying there last month.

The soft product is still great, with the sole exception being that sometimes there's a security/front man who looks at you as you open the main door instead of opening it for you, which sounds chicken but since it is a "5*" you'd think they would. Otherwise no issues.
Having stayed at the JW, 57 and CY within the past two months, I can tell you there is now a similar security setup at each of those properties. The security person cannot leave the security station, but there were others to open the doors at each of the other hotels when I was there. The JW's setup and execution on this are a little clumsy, and the Concierge desk is now a little harder to access. The Soi 57 FS seems to be executing this security setup the best. The CY seemed to still be getting used to it.

The rooms just seem dated, the size and scale of them, the layout of the bathrooms, the surface treatments in the bthr, etc. They always upgrade me to Exec floor, so I'm getting good rooms, it's just the age of the place. You can see it in the external facades and surfaces, the only mitigating factor on that is at ground level the landscape has grown in so well the place looks like an oasis in the hurly burly of the Suk.
The Ren and 57 have much nicer bathrooms, with natural sunlight, large soaking tubs and enclosed toilets. The showers at the JW are quite cramped, where the showers at the other three properties are larger. The CY rooms only have showers, not tubs, and are pretty small.

They definitely seem to be more price competitive these days. This trip they were almost as cheap as the Ren for my dates...
My recent trip had me entering Bangkok three times. On one of those stays, the JW was less expensive than the Ren, 57 or CY, so I stayed at the JW.

Ren, 57 or check out the Starwoods.....I'd like to find something as nice as Okura Prestige within the family
Of the Marriott family hotels, the 57 has become my choice property. I always get a UG to a two room, 1-1/2 bathrooms suite with an incredible view, the CL is similar to the Ren, the location is quieter and the staff is wonderful. The food options nearby are very good. The CY is worth it for shorter stays when the price is much lower. For those that don't know, after you stay there once, you will get frequent offers for double points promotions. It's a little harder to get to the BTS from the hotel, but it is within walking distance of the malls. The CL is a little lower scale than the other hotels, but it's still quite nice. Breakfast in the restaurant is better than the CL breakfasts at the other hotels, although not to the standard of the restaurants in the Ren, JW or 57.