FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Boston Financial District REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
bartexas

Unhappy Hyatt Regency Boston

Great hotel. Was updated a year and a half ago. Convenient to several T lines. Concierge staff were knowledgeable and helpful. Keurigs with assortment of coffees and teas are a nice touch, as are the in-room fridge, which we find essential when visiting Boston for our North End snacks. They seem to be following a trend in hotels with very little storage space. There are no drawers, even beside the bed. There are shelves in the closet. However, it feels odd to put socks and lingerie on a shelf. As reviews on other sites have mentioned, having to change elevators in the 3rd floor lobby to get from the street to your rooms is a bit of a hassle, but getting elevators was never too much of an issue.

We stayed here last weekend, which was a busy time in Boston because of David Ortiz's final regular season home game. We typically stay closer to Fenway, but since it was my 40th birthday, we decided to use Hyatt points.

At check-in we stood in the Diamond/Platinum line, and were the next people assisted. They didn't have any Platinum upgrades, but I was thrilled that they gave us a room on the top floor with a view of both the Charles River bridge and the Massachusetts State House. As a lowly platinum on award night, this exceeded my expectations.

Then, the desk agent offered us an amenity for my birthday. Wow! This was going well. He asked what type of wine we preferred and whether we wanted a dessert or cheese, and when we wanted it. We asked for 3:00 the next day to enjoy while we we getting ready to head to Fenway.

The next morning, we realized our refrigerator wasn't working. My partner spoke to the desk on his way to the North End to stock up on Italian meats, cheeses and breads. This was about 8:30. More than two hours later, he returned and no one had come to address it. It took two more calls before they came to address it.

We returned to the hotel about 2:45, eagerly awaiting our amenity. At 3:20, it hadn't come, so I called room service. I was put on hold three times before I could explain, and they finally told us it would be right up. At 3:55, as we were walking out the door, it finally showed up.

I know we weren't entitled to this, but, in some ways, it was more disappointing to have it offered and not delivered than not to have it offered at all.

On the way down, we were on the elevator with two people headed to the front desk to complain, one whose room wasn't made up by housekeeping, and another with a list.

Housekeeping met all requests for extra green tea, etc. However, on the second night we pulled out the extra blanket, and left early the next morning to eat and hit the MFA before the ball game. I was surprised when we returned that the extra blanket was sloppily folded on the couch and the container from the closet was still in the floor. We did tip each day.

Again, we liked the hotel, and we always love Boston, so it certainly didn't ruin our trip.

When I received the post stay survey, I answered it honestly and included the above details. Two days later, I'd had no response, which surprised me since I typically receive a personal reply from the GM of any Hyatt I stay at within one day. So, I went to the Hyatt website and submitted that I hadn't been contacted. At that point, I received an email from the director of housekeeping who understandably addressed only the housekeeping issues and not the room service. He said to contact him directly prior to our next stay.

Like I said, we enjoyed our trip, but the lack of response or even appearance of concern from the Hyatt Regency Boston management, has really soured the entire experience for me. I didn't want to waste time on my trip addressing issues that were already past, but now I'm kicking myself. We have another reservation there next August, but I am seriously considering cancelling.

Any other guests who have had experiences here, particularly customer service related, good or bad? I'm trying to decide if it's typical there or an anomaly due to a very busy weekend.