FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines Inaugural Domestic B787-9 Flight in Business Class
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:30 pm
LukasVIE

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Thanks for the Trip Report. Your picture of downtown Los Angeles showed the new Wilshire Grand skyscraper.
Thanks Loose Cannon - I love the approach into LAX

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
are the partitions or dividers between the middle paired seats operable?
LovePrunes I thought I saw one in row 1, but a no for the other rows

Originally Posted by BThumme
Great pics, thanks Lukas.
You're welcome BThumme

Originally Posted by itchief
Lukas, nice report, I was in 4H for this flight. Your report is spot on with the seat and service.

I will add the seat seems a little tighter on space than the same B/E Super Diamond seat on the 777, of course the 777 is a bigger plane with the same 4 across config. Another difference from the 777 is the shoulder belt on the 789, the 777 I was on had the massive airbag belt.
Haha it was a fun trip for sure itchief - I never had the pleasure of traveling in the seat on a B777

Originally Posted by econometrics
Excellent report, LukasVIE!

I'm still so peeved about the lack of privacy partitions in the middle seats. AA finally installs a seat that gets close to the Cirrus 77W seat in comfort and storage, and then makes it almost less private than the Zodiac 772/788 seats. Ugh.
Thanks econometrics and yeah I really don't get it!

Originally Posted by ckidder331
Awesome report!

I am flying this soon in First and I selected row 8. Curious if you have any comments/suggestions on where to sit. Only rows 5-8 are available.

Thanks!
ckidder331 I would definitely go for the single window seats, apparently row 5 is missing a window though.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I guess I'm a bit surprised that there was zero fanfare, but I suppose that's just because it was an a/c variant as opposed to a new a/c.

Glad you were able to enjoy the J seat. On the 787 Inaugural flight up to ORD way back when, the J cabin became a zoo as half the plane moved forward to try the new seats. FAs could barely serve the meals, but the bloody maries kept coming Not that the AA quiche is any-thing special, let alone a reason to book a J flight.

I also agree with your observation re the seat feeling a bit tight. I honestly still much prefer the US Air Envoy seats on their A330s. Those were way ahead of their time and still are a very comfortable ride across the Atlantic, if a bit worn.

Thanks for sharing!
I was a bit disappointed too - I feel like they could have at least printed some kind of certificate or something like that. I have a small frame so didn't have a problem with the fact that the seat is or at least feels a bit narrower. I will say that riding on the B787 seems to give me less of a jet lag than flights on A330s and B777

Originally Posted by cubuffaloes2004
I would assume that there will be alot of exps on the flight tomorrow. My upgrade hasn't cleared either way - and I bought the ticket the first day hopefully the T-4 gods will come through for me!
Good luck cubuffaloes2004 LAX-DFW is a tough route to clear as is!

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I have to admit that after seeing this report I can confirm that BA has right now the worst Int'l business class hard product among OW members !!!
It still beats AA business class on the non-refurbished B777 and B767!